The COMESA Competition Commission in collaboration with the Competition and Fair Trading Commission (CFTC) of Malawi and the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is co-hosting the 6th Annual Conference of the African Consumer Protection Dialogue (the ‘African Dialogue’). The conference will be held in Lilongwe from 8-12 September 2014, under the theme “strengthening the framework for dealing with cross-border consumer violations”.
The African Dialogue is an effort of African Governments, NGOs, and the FTC to create informal opportunities to interface with each other and the rest of the world on consumer protection issues. Some of the key priority initiatives for the African Dialogue include:
- Facilitating information sharing from African consumer protection authorities;
- Gathering African consumer laws and creating a legal framework toolkit for African consumer legislation;
- Creating a rapid alert system for cross-border consumer fraud in Africa;
- Organizing consumer education initiatives – including initiatives regarding children’s online safety;
- Engaging African regional and economic organizations regarding consumer issues.
- Publishing a quarterly newsletter;
- Hosting monthly teleconferences/videoconferences;
For further information about the conference please contact Mary Gurure on email@example.com or write to the Commission on the following address:
COMESA Competition Commission,
5th Floor-West Wing, Kang’ombe House,
P.O. Box 30742,